Sunday, August 23, 2009

My post trip thoughts



Well, the big return to Indianapolis has finally happened. When Kevin and I turned up Carvel Avenue, side by side, we looked up the street and could see the whole family was out in the street, hastily stretching out crepe paper ‘finishing lines’ for us to break. Cheers, whistles and screams I could hear as we passed by and my odometer was registering 10,300+ final miles of our trip. There was even a couple of bursting skyrockets left over from the 4th of July making a big bang of things and a sign in the yard welcoming home Dad and Grandpa. I have to tell you that I was energized all over again yesterday from all this, but not to the point of going even one mile more. A pizza party followed with lots of camaraderie, chatter about the trip and what we had seen and even some adult beverages. Quickly said, “it’s good to be home”.

A few of life’s motorcycling lessons I learned and want to pass along to anyone who cares to take a trip of this magnitude are:


If you see an open gas station, fill ‘er up.
Don’t let an opportunity to make a stranger a friend pass by.
Take care of your equipment.
Enjoy yourself and don’t let the little things bug you.
Savor the moments, they will last a lifetime.

I cannot add my final comments to this portion of our Alaska blog without some mention of the people who made this adventure possible and those who made it much more enjoyable for Kevin and me.


Tom Bernhardt


Joe Kramer



Tim McKittrick





Gary Soderlund




Jerry Watson




Tom Hendrix and Jeff Allen




Peter and Dawna Stenros



These people, now friends, offered accommodations for us for sleeping, washing clothes and ourselves, and even shop facilities and several times great meals. Before this trip we had never even heard of them, having made contact through a motorcycle adventure group on the internet. Thank you all, and, please, stay in touch somehow.

I would be remiss if I did not include in my appreciation if I failed to mention here my wife of almost 39 years, Ada…





and my daughter, Laurie, grandchildren, Jacob and Ella. Their support that Grandpa still had enough zest for life in him to achieve my lifelong dream of a motorcycle trip to Alaska was on my mind daily.


My final thanks is to my riding companion and son-in-law, Kevin, for putting up with me and my snoring.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome home!!
    I wish we could have been there to cheer for you too. I'm so happy that you both had this experience of a lifetime...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Great blog. It was a pleasure reading of your adventures. I met you last week and you told me of a book to purchase for planning my trip to Alasaka. I did not jot this down and not knowing when I run into you again, I thought I would ask on your blog. What is the books name and by whom?

    Thanks for the adventures. See you on the road. Be safe,
    Neil

    ReplyDelete